Giveway + Excerpt + Review: Terra by Gretchen Powell

Brooke Banks | 10:00 PM | | | | | | | |
Format: ebook, 286 pages
Published December 12th 2012 by Hopewell Media
Genre: Young Adult, Sci-Fi, Dystopian, Romance
Links: Amazon  ♦ Barns & Noble

A broken and desolate Earth. A young girl struggling to survive. A lost boy with a powerful secret.

A discovery that will change everything.

In the distant wake of a plague that has decimated the Earth's population, humanity is split in two: The rich and powerful live in skycities that float overhead, while those who remain on the ground have gathered in settlements strewn across a dying planet. Eighteen-year-old Terra Rhodon is a terrestrial--a denizen of the barren groundworld--who makes her living as a scav. Long abandoned by her father, her caregivers gone, Terra supports herself and her younger brother, Mica, by scouring the earth for discarded scraps and metals to recycle for profit. One day, while on a routine scavenging run, she discovers something that shocks her home settlement of Genesis X-16. When the value of her discovery is revealed, Terra's world is turned upside down.

Terra suddenly finds herself asking questions no one will answer. Her search for the truth leads her to Adam--a beguiling skydweller unlike any she has ever met. But Adam has secrets and a quest of his own, and with him by her side, the world Terra thought she knew begins to unravel. Soon her discoveries unearth a terrifying conspiracy that has the potential to shatter everything--a revelation that will test the bonds of loyalty, family, and love.

The first book in debut author Gretchen Powell's anticipated Terrestrials series, Terra catapults you through a story filled with blood-pumping action, intrigue, and surprising twists that will both wrench and warm your heart. As the hidden truths of this world unfold, new dangers that loom on the horizon are sure to leave you waiting breathlessly for the sequel.



Author Bio:

Gretchen Powell grew up in far-off places. She is 24 years old, half-Chinese, and the owner of two adorable miniature schnauzers. They wear many sweaters.

By day, she types and types (and types and types) for personal, professional, and cathartic purposes.

By night, she binges on episodes of Doctor Who and sleeps fitfully.

Sometime in the mid-afternoon, she writes a blog, called "Honey, I Shrunk the Gretchen!" about food, fitness, and her life.

She loves words. And Harry Potter. And especially the words IN Harry Potter.
BlogWebsiteTwitterFacebookGoodreads

Excerpt

“Well, careful what you wish for,” I say with a grin, running my finger over the embossed lettering on the blueberry jar, “or you’ll end up with mine attached to your hip.”

“Could be worse,” Adam says. “At least your brother had the courtesy not to punch me in the face when he met me.” I turn to make a face at him, but the small space between us feels suddenly charged. I tuck a lock of hair behind my ear self-consciously and we both pull away from the cabinet.


“Mica shouldn’t get so attached,” I say suddenly. “He’s had enough people duck out on him.”

He shuts the cabinet door. “Mica has, huh?” he says, stepping toward me.

“Yes.” It comes out like a whisper.

There is a sudden and noticeable silence. I barely have time to step away from Adam before Mica bursts through the front door.

“Holy crap,” Mica says, his face flushed with excitement. “That was awesome!”


Characters:

Terra - I really liked her from the get go. “Oh but she’s so stubborn and doesn’t see things clearly!” Oh, well, duh. As someone who’s been ditched, jaded and over protective, I totally get Terra. I like her “flaws”. I like how she’s got the tough skin to deal with all the bullshit she gets for being a woman scav. She isn’t some perfect Mary Sue or a sappy  “I need someone to love. Why doesn't anyone love me?” whiner. She’s one of those “If I lived in this world, I think I’d be like her and would want to be friends.” So for every complaining about my pretend BFF, back off!

Mica is the standard smart, annoying “You don’t let me have any fun!” kid brother type, made all the worse by occasionally being right. I love him and want to ruffle his hair, even though I’ll probably have to reach up do that. Stay little, little bro =(

Adam, oh Adam. I love the sarcasm. I love the smirking. Cocky but only because he’s got secrets that mean he knows more than anyone else, not cocky in the “I’m a self-centered jerk” sense. He does keep the secrets a tad longer than some would have liked but hey, there wasn’t much opportunity come clean, and no one would have believed him anyways.


There’s the background characters, several of which I soo  want more of but can’t talk about. The best part of all these excellent depictions? They are dynamic, with a lot of character growth and I really want to see what more changes they go through in the next book.

Dat Plot...

I’m lovin it. All of it. I love the pacing with the getting to know characters in the beginning, the suspense, the action, the “oh, I didn’t see that coming but that make sense” twist, the “what are they going to do now” ending. After the twist is does dive more into science fiction but considering the ending ( and that dystopians are a sub-genre of science fiction anyways), I really loved it. It does make sense and opens so many possibilities for the sequel that I’m dying to read.  It does the standards of dystopian fiction so well then goes back to the roots of science fiction. The story  isn’t all perfectly perfect where no one gets hurt or the good guys’ plans all work out. The light sprinkling of cheesiness throughout the book is balanced with someone bringing everybody back to reality, with lots of self-awareness, and sarcasm.

The Romance...

Okay, so I’m probably going to lose all my insta-love hater cred with this one but I can’t help it. I’m not usually bowed over by romance and care more for the sci-fi dystopian elements for the story. However, this cynical Oh, come on.. realist was reduced to D’awwwwing over little looks and got plain weak in the knees over a single kiss. I’m just as interested in reading in the next book for the plot as well as seeing these two navigate being together.

Now, for my feeble defense of this love..it did happened over a week’s time and wasn’t completely instant. Okay, that’s weak but seriously I fell in love with Adam in 50 pages so Terra falling in love with over the course of a week makes totally absolute sense to me.

I do wish there was more time between their realization and expression of their feelings and the action of the story. Because I wanted more time with them together to be happy. (Goddamn, I am being so sappy. ugh.) However, that wouldn’t really feel right either because it would be too much time passing for the other elements of the story. It’s a fine line to walk in romance (well, stories in general) and here I am actually quite pleased.

I get why Terra was itchy when first meeting Adam, considering how she is and how they meet. If she fell over him fawning or didn’t act prickly/suspiciously I’d have a problem because that doesn’t fit with the personality of Terra. Seriously, who wouldn’t be suspicious of a skydweller living underground and popping out of nowhere?

Now, I will go back to regular self.

The Villain...

I wanted to yell the villain. Not the “You’re so evil” kind of yell (though that’s a valid response) but more of “Why you make it so easy?!?” yell. The Incredibles taught super heroes to not wear capes but apparently villains can’t learn not to monolouge. Syndrome’s downfall came indirectly from his stupid bragging as it was directly brought by his cape.I kept wanting and waiting for something like this...

The Incredibles (2004)
Mr. Incredible:  I was wrong to treat you that way. I'm sorry—
Syndrome:  See? Now you respect me because I'm a threat. That's the way it works. Turns out there are lots of people, whole countries, that want respect, and will pay through the nose to get it. How do you think I got rich? I invented weapons, and now I have a weapon that only I can defeat, and when I unleash it—
[Mr. Incredible throws a log at Syndrome, who dodges it and immediately traps Mr. Incredible with his zero-point energy ray]
Syndrome:  Oh, ho-ho! You sly dog! You got me monologuing! I can't believe it.


Seriously, looking for a better class of villain. Now Terra’s still works and the reasons make sense. Everything else about the villain is satisfactory, though I can’t really get into it due to spoilers. I get how the point of the monologue being informative for  us as well as Terra.
However, without the monologues the story could still continue and be awesome. The whole “I’m so cocky” villain and the “I need to be spoon fed”  heroes is just so over done for me. I just...kind of want the villains to be sneakier, not brought down by their personal flaws  but smarter, driven heros that exploit flaws in the plans.  I was very much with the villain on how disappointing it was that Terra couldn’t, wouldn’t connect the dots on her own. It’s not like getting the villain to fill in Terra about The Evil Plans accomplishes anything but information - which could’ve been gotten another way that doesn’t make Terra look so dense.

Bottom Line:

5 out of 5 Bats. Amazing! A new love that may have minor gripes but that doesn't affect the overall enjoyment. Highly recommended.Will continue the series. 

Enter This Giveaway  

 
Follow the rest of the tour:

5 comments:

  1. Great review! I have been meaning to pick this book up since it came out. It sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Christine! I'm glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your review! This book was really good, I was part of the book tour as well. :) My only main problem was that I wish the book was a little longer. Oh and what about that ending?!

    I am now a new GFC follower! I love your blog!

    Kay @ It's a Book Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kay! I love yours too. I totally get being frustrated at the ending. Finishing the book and having to come back to reality without knowing what happens next is frustrating. But I wanted more people to join me in reading it and the promise of agony at the end didn't sound like a good selling point. LOL!

      Psst...you've got a new follower. =)

      Delete
  4. This looks great! Thanks for the review and chance to win!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...