Throwback Thursday: The Uglies Series by Scott Westerfield

Brooke Banks | 4:00 AM | | | |

This weekly meme is hosted by Casual Readers and comes with the rules:
  1. Feature a book that was published more than a year ago, the older the better.
  2. It must be a book that you have re-read at least once.
  3. Explain to your readers why this book is worth reading over and over again.
  4. Tag four people in your post to share their favorite throwback the following week.

But I don't re-read books (No, really not ever.) and don't tag people to play along. So I'm going to mix and mash Throwback Thursday with this awesome but now defunct meme, Backlist Mondays. It's the same thing but more flexible. The prompt is simple:
On Backlist Mondays, we post reviews (or just whatever impressions we can remember) about books we read before blogging OR reviews of books from publishers’ backlists. Basically, books that aren’t considered “frontlist” reviews for your blog.
Please post a link back to the signup page in your post and add your blog name to the linky widget so everyone can find your backlist recs!

This week's throwback is the fantastic series Uglies by Scott Westerfield. I remember being in the store browsing books and picking the first one the series is named after, Uglies. I remember feeling like a fugly teen that's never had a boyfriend and wondering WTF could possibly make you pass up a chance at being pretty.

I'm pretty sure this is where my love affair of YA Dystopians came from, it's certainly the first I remember reading. To say it had an effect and lasting impression is an understatement. It's been around quite a while now but in case you need a refresher or haven't heard of it before....


Series: Uglies #1
Genre: Dystopian, Action/Adventure, Romance,
Age: YA
Format: PB, 425 pgs.
Source: Bought
Rating: 5 Stars
Recommendable? Hell Yes

Tally is about to turn sixteen, and she can't wait. In just a few weeks she'll have the operation that will turn her from a repellent ugly into a stunning pretty. And as a pretty, she'll be catapulted into a high-tech paradise where her only job is to have fun.

But Tally's new friend Shay isn't sure she wants to become a pretty. When Shay runs away, Tally learns about a whole new side of the pretty world-- and it isn't very pretty. The authorities offer Tally a choice: find her friend and turn her in, or never turn pretty at all. Tally's choice will change her world forever...






This tetralogy packed a wallop of action and romance amid a dystopian world that I found so refreshing. There's character progression galore. Tally's journey is un-fucking-belivable. And the kicker is the 4th book is set after Tally's main quest with a new protagonist: Aya.

I remember thinking "Where's my Tally damnit?!?" when I first read the blurb. But holy shit, I love how this ends up. The world building continues as it evolves, which I love to death. I hate when fantasy worlds stay stagnate when people are forever reaching forward. Aya's tale is just a good in a short amount of time and no worries, Tally keeps rolling and her ending is awesome.

Everything about is is fantastic. Of course, it's been years since I read it as teen and I can't give content warnings from recollection alone but I highly recommended the series. If you love YA and/or dystopians, it's a must read.

And yes, I love the author Scott Westerfield so much for this series and have continued reading his work proudly. My next review up after the final Mara Dyer novel this Saturday is his latest Afterworlds.

Do you have a Throwback or Backlist review to share? I'd love to read it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...