Top Ten Tuesday: 10 Bookish Things I Want To Or Have Quit

Brooke Banks | 4:00 AM | | | |



Top Ten Tuesday is Hosted By The Broke and The Bookish

This week's prompt idea is described as:

 ten book series I think I'm going to abandon, ten bookish habits I want to quit, ten authors I quit reading, ten types of books I'm quitting, ten tropes I want to stop reading about, ten books I marked as DNF (did not finish) recently, etc. Get as creative as you want)

And I'll be doing a mix of them all and a little something more at the end.

DNF Book: The First Pillar by Roy Huff. 

I won or was given a free autographed copy in exchange for an honest review. Now if only I could find the fucking email to thank people properly. Grrr. But at the least, I can thank Roy Huff for the opportunity. Sorry it took so long! And I'm sorry I didn't like it :(



Series: Everville #1
Genre: Fantasy,
Age: Young Adult
Format: Hardcover, 189 pgs.
Source: Author(?) for an honest review
Rating: DNF
Recommendable? No
Icons: Snoozer
Starting on page 4, I noted the narration was emotionless and how odd our characters reactions were. You'd think there would be some, at least some questions and internal thoughts but they just blindly followed.
Owen Sage is the emblematic college freshman at Easton Falls University. With all the worries about his first year in college, he was not prepared for what would happen next. His way of life was flipped upside down when he mysteriously crossed into another dimension, into the beautiful land of Everville. His excitement was abruptly halted when he discovered that there was a darkness forged against both the natural world, which he knew well, and the new land which he discovered, Everville. He must devise a plan to save both worlds while joining forces with the race of Fron and The Keepers, whom both harbor hidden secrets he must learn in order to gain power over the evil that dwells in The Other In Between. With a race against time to save both worlds, his short time at Easton Falls did not quite prepare him for the evil, dark forces he must fight in order to conquer The Other In Between.

Of all the books I've read while I wasn't blogging, this is the only one I've DNF'd. I felt awful for doing so but couldn't make it past page 87.

From there it was mostly question marks on pages where things seemed off and not fully explained. And I couldn't get a good grip on my mental picture. Describing The Keepers as “tall” and “impressive stature” isn't enough, for instance.

The good news was it starting picking up on page 76. We finally got some facts about what's happening and things get moving. But I didn't last much longer. It was just boring and dull for me. The writing was lifeless and common sense issues kept popping up.

Add in the fact I didn't care for Own and found Carywn's tale more interesting (but not interesting enough) and it was time to throw in the towel. It just became too much of a slog without any hope of getting better and I couldn't force myself to care.

The Trifecta of Quitting: The Omen Machine, The Sword of Truth, and Terry Goodkind (Book, Series, & Author, respectively)


Oh fucking boy. First some background. I ate up Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series when I was barely old enough to drink legally. The last few books got repetitious and preachy, but I just starting skipping the bullshit and happily finished it anyways.

Then came his Law of Nines, set in our world created in a long ass arc from the Sword of Truth's world. That at least had an interesting premise. Though what it was Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth #1) reduced to a platform to preach libertarian politics and parading cardboard cutouts around as an example. Hell, just read Eric Allen's review, it's hilarious and on point.

But that wasn't enough to stop me from reading The Omen Machine (Sword of Truth #12, Richard and Kahlan #1). I thought since it picked up right after the Sword of Truth's 11th (and thought to be last) Confessor, he'd be back to enjoyable. I was so utterly wrong. I didn't even finish it.

For All My Wasted Time

I tried 3 times to finish it and couldn't take it. All the characters I loved (and I name several fantasy game characters based on Kahlan) were flipped upside down and around. I kept expecting it to be case of the Pod People or something. And it just kept getting worse. I didn't even bother really reviewing. Just threw up a paragraph about being done and quit. (Again Eric Allen's review of the book fucking nails it.)

And that's why I'll never read another Terry Goodkind book again. I've renamed or deleted my Kahlan characters and am honestly ashamed I ever fucking liked his shit in the first place. It's so damn embarrassing. That's how fucking bad his writing, his series, and his books have become.

My advice is to stay the fuck away; Don't go down like I did.

Here's a palate cleansing cute kitty video: (found via Daily Squee)



Bookish Habits I want to Quit:

1. ??? The habit of reading slow enough that I could never finish all the ones I want to, I guess?
2. OH! Being so disorganized and lazy when trying to overcome it. But that's a whole life habit...

Tropes I want to Quit Reading Least to Greatest:

1. Insta-love
2. Love Triangles
3. Insta-love Triangles
4. Especially in YA
5. Bigotry. (There's too many to name...)

Bookish Shit I Want To Quit Hearing:


1. Pressure to read, enjoy, and praise The Classics. I can understand and appreciate what the book did when published and still not enjoy reading it today. Shit, I can fucking hate reading the book (and not because I was forced to!) and that's okay. Not only are reading preferences different and your Classical tastes are no better than mine, but the context of reading it today is different than when it was published. Some last and rock on, others made me loathe reading.

2. Pressure to read, enjoy, and praise Literary work. Good gods, the ones I've tried were fucking awful. Maybe I've been picking the wrong ones. Maybe they aren't for me. But people can shove that holier than attitude about it up their ass. Fuck all this elitist bullshit.

3. Authors Can't Be Reviewers. Um, what!? Authors are readers and any reader can review. Yet it's like being a traitor if an author does it like everyone else. And gods fucking help you if your review is not all sunshine and rainbows. There are some authors I really like as people and I would love to hear their thoughts. But it'd be disastrous, unless they're giving nice words for a book cover. Which just makes me sad and comes off as so fake. Which leads me to…

4. People Need To Get Over DNF, Negative and Low Star Reviews. I seriously doubt people who don't have negative reactions to any books. Comes off as fake. Online I understand why people are hesitant and downright scared to post them, shit I am too. But to pretend there aren't books we don't like, books we wouldn't recommend to friends in meatspace, and sweeping it all under the rug online is ridiculous. Yet we do so and then hand-wring about author's feelings and income. Pah-lease. I hardly remember authors but I sure as shit remember bad books. And all I care about is picking up a good book. Negative reviews are so helpful to me when picking a book, sometimes I'll even chose a book because the bad reviews are talking about stuff they hate but I'd love. And the high star reviews are vague hyperbolic descriptions that do me no good. Stopping the line crossing vengeance that is raged upon those that do post DNF, low stars, and negative reviews is so fucking obvious, I shouldn't have to say it.

5. “Keep your Feminazi Racist Against Whites Liberalism Agenda Out Of My Fantasy/Sci-Fi!” (etc,.) Good fucking lord. Besides the whole “no one's stopping white male fantasies”, it's also historically ignorant. The authors, subjects, and books have been around since the get-go. It's just more visible now to the privileged who's never had to question themselves, and their media. Which is a good thing! No one is saying they have to like it or the books (thought I do wish they'd get hit by a clue-by-four) but they can't stop it. Hence all the “The World IS ENDING!!!” cries and outrage. Bleh.
'
And that's all I got for now. I'm curious what everyone else is posting and of course if you've got thoughts on mine, please join in commenting.

 Via Animal Captions
More Squee! Please to have met ya :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...