Blog Tour Review for The Killer in Me by Margot Harrison: Dark YA Serial Killer Thriller

Brooke Banks | 12:00 AM | | | | | | |


For the second time, my new method of picking book tour reviews scored a hit. This time it’s the creepy psychological thriller The Killer In Me.

Nina is living a nightmare. Every time she sleeps, she meets The Thief, an unknown methodical serial killer. Is she hallucinating, an accomplice, or another victim?




Genre: Thriller, Mystery
Age: YA
Format: Ebook, 368 pgs.
Source: Free copy for review
Rating: 4 Stars
Recommendable? Yes
CW: Kidnapping, Violence
Hasn't he lived long enough? Why not? I could take him like a thief in the night.

This is how the Thief thinks. He serves death, the vacuum, the unknown. He’s always waiting. Always there.

Seventeen-year-old Nina Barrows knows all about the Thief. She’s intimately familiar with his hunting methods: how he stalks and kills at random, how he disposes of his victims’ bodies in an abandoned mine in the deepest, most desolate part of a desert.

Now, for the first time, Nina has the chance to do something about the serial killer that no one else knows exists. With the help of her former best friend, Warren, she tracks the Thief two thousand miles, to his home turf—the deserts of New Mexico.

But the man she meets there seems nothing like the brutal sociopath with whom she’s had a disturbing connection her whole life. To anyone else, Dylan Shadwell is exactly what he appears to be: a young veteran committed to his girlfriend and her young daughter. As Nina spends more time with him, she begins to doubt the truth she once held as certain: Dylan Shadwell is the Thief. She even starts to wonder . . . what if there is no Thief?


Barnes & Noble Book Depository Kobo


Young Adult IconMystery Icon Suspense/Thriller IconDark IconFreaky Icon

The Good The Bad & The Other
+ Love Nina & Warren as people and as a team Looking back, I see all the signs & clues I missed. D’oh! But it works so well while reading
+ Love how it detailed Nina’s journey trying to cope
+ Positive family relationships
+ Kept me guessing
+ The ending was exciting, & right, even though it made me scream at the characters.


Nina is an interesting MC. The effects of her…predicament ring true with how she’s trying and failing to cope. Her family story is both common and unique giving something to relate to and something different to hold interest. Her mother reminds me of my mother when I was a teenager: seems permissive to the strict but is involved and balances discipline and freedom well. Positive family relationships are something that’s missing in YA terribly and The Killer In Me does well by Nina.

Warren is not the typical love interest either. His perspective was phenomenal. Nina brought the otherness, the hype, the topsy-turvy, and Warren grounded and rounded out the tale giving readers something to hold onto. His interest in film making is a great inclusion. I wish Nina had a hobby too, but she’s a little wrapped up in something else…

I loved how and why Warrenina fell out as kids. It highlights an important part of growing up female, sexism, and toxic masculinity. They deal with it but I wish Nina explained how it affected her to Warren. Speaking up is important. Warren knew it was wrong but he doesn’t understand how it impacted her, just that it did. Bridging that gap is how allies are made instead of just a sensitive guy that’s attracted to you.

I can’t speak on the plot much without spoiling it but it was creepy and startling with plenty of action. While reading, I completely bought into Nina’s logic and frame of mind. There was a post-reading duh moment wondering how we both missed the obvious, and that’s a sigh of great mystery telling.

Its climax and conclusion was unexpected. It was like a horror movie; I was screaming at the characters do it!! and don’t do it!! It was frustrating, but I understand their motivations. After all was said and done, all I can say is wow. No let down here.

Bottom Line:




Recommended For: 
If you want a dark and creepy book, a physiological thriller, or just something different, The Killer in Me is highly recommended.



About the Author:

I was raised in the wilds of New York by lovely, nonviolent parents who somehow never managed to prevent me from staying up late to read scary books. I now work at an alt-weekly newspaper in Vermont, where my favorite part of the job is, of course, reviewing scary books and movies. The Killer in Me is my first novel.











a Rafflecopter giveaway





Good luck & Happy reading!


2 comments:

  1. This one sounds rather interesting!! Thanks for sharing, it was new to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad to see that you liked this one!! I have definitely been wanting to check it out because the premise sounds so intriguing. Great review! :)
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...