Top 10 2016 Day 1: Best Books I’ve Read in 2016 in 5 Categories

Brooke Banks | 12:00 AM | |


I'm throwing my hat in for this event. It's hosted by several awesome bloggers from Fiktshun, Tales of a Ravenous Reader, Two Chicks on Books, and Dark Faerie Tales.

You can find out all the details on their sites but basically create a post for each day on this schedule:


  • MONDAY, DECEMBER 26TH
    Best Books I’ve Read in 2016 (Doesn’t have to be released in 2016, just a book you’ve read in 2016)
  • TUESDAY, DECEMBER 27TH
    Best Book Covers of 2016 (MUST be a book released in 2016. Would be best if it’s a book you’ve READ in 2016, but it’s not required)
  • WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 28TH
    Best ________ of 2016 (Reader’s/Blogger’s choice. Please fill in the blank with ONE of these topics – Villains, Contemporaries, Dual POV’s, Novellas, Adult titles, New Adult titles, Love Triangles, Couples, Bad Boys or Debuts. REMEMBER: this list MUST be from books you’ve READ in 2016)
  • THURSDAY, DECEMBER 29TH
    Best Book Boyfriends/Girlfriends of 2016 (MUST be from a book released in 2016 and from a book you’ve READ in 2016)
  • FRIDAY, DECEMBER 30TH
    Top 10 Books I’m looking forward to in 2017. (This list should be comprised ONLY of books releasing in 2017)
Since I'm terrible (so far) at making my own schedule for topic posts I figured this would be a good way to make me do it. I mean, I want to but I need a way to hold myself accountable. Plus, linky jumping and some giveaways! It's like a quadruple win.

I read such a variety it was really hard to pick. I broke it down into categories. Yet, you'll find out on Wednesday how many I facepalmed when I realized I'd forgotten them when making this post.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adult Sci-Fi/Fantasy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Jakkattu Vector by PK Tyler


The words, I don't have the words for a snappy paragraph summary. Just fan-fucking-tastic all around. FYI: PK Tyler has been called the Margret Atwood of Sci-fi and comes with none of the problematic shit.


Rosewater by Tade Thompson


Aliens. Sensitives. Government Agencies. Nigeria. Present narrative with flash backs. Perfect blend of WTF and OMFG. Sounds really weird, Impossible to talk about without spoiling.



Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor

Because duh. For absolutely everything. Also, I love her so, so much. If you don't follow her on Twitter you should.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YA Historical

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco



Oh boy, oh boy oh boy. It opens with our feminine coroner in training opening up a cadaver. Sherlock & Holmes dynamic where romance is cannon. VERY well done with treatment of the victims. Didn't see the murderer coming.


Outrun the Moon by Stacey Lee


Friendship is Magic! Plus, friends becoming more than :D Gorgeous writing. Read it all, including all the author's notes. So many quotables.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NA Contemporary:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Melody of You and Me by M. Hollis


Pansexual Latinx bookstore clerk with the hots for the new lesbian Latinx clerk. Deals with college, majors, coming out, masturbation, and steamy scenes. Lots of literary references to squeal over.


Gravity by Juliann Rich


Cuss-y, sporty "vulgar" ski jumping lesbians. Deals with the gender and income disparity and barriers in this sport. The Hook Up comes back and lies go *boom*, can they salvage a real relationship from the wreckage? LOVE this ending.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YA Contemporary:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the Thing by Emily O’Beirne


Aussie high schooler moves back after living in NY. What happened between her and Prim? And what's the dancer girl's story? Fantastic narrator voice and progressive. Brings up refugees and Australia's human rights failures.


Highly Illogical Behavior by John Corey Whaley


A+ mental health representation. Good. Cute. Funny. Heartbreaking. Told in alternative perspectives by Solomon and Lisa. Progressive As Fuck.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Best Dragons: Because of course this is a category all its own

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik


Alternative historical fantasy with an social justice activist dragon pulling his damn white boy partner along the way to do the right thing. Aerial and ship battles. Journey around the world. Naomi's writing. PERFECTION.I actually binged the whole damn series this year.




Mark of the Dragon by J.W. Troemner


Urban paranormal contemporary. This short tale packs a wallop with a fight-y Asian dragon shifter and her curvy, hispanic partner as they survive living on the streets.. Both into women, both live to the end.




I can't wait to start hopping around to everyone's list. In fact, I was late publishing this one because I already started reading posts from the blogs I follow.  What do you think of my picks?



8 comments:

  1. Stalking Jack the Ripper and Outrun the Moon were also a few of my favorite historical YA reads of this year ♥. And I can't believe I don't recognize any of the other titles you are sharing in your list, but I will look into them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I can't wait to hear what you think of them :D

      Delete
  2. I thought about doing a list like this, but I feel like I talk about my favorite books on my blog and on Twitter so much that it would be redundant. haha. Idk, I probably won't do one because the year's almost over and I"m feeling lazy. But I may do a round-up of my favorite books for my 1-year blogoversary in late January!

    Anyway, I do like your picks! I especially appreciate that you have a Dragons category <3 You're the best. haha I only read a few books with dragons in them this year, so I will have to fix that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More dragons are always better! Plus, even if you talk about the books a lot it's cool having them in one spot :D

      Delete
  3. Great picks. I read and enjoyed highly illogical this year as well.I am really interested in here's the thing the cover is intrigued.

    Megan @ reading away the days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, not enough people read Highly Illogical IMHO. Glad you enjoyed it!

      Here's the Thing cover makes more since once you read it. I love it more now that I've read it

      Delete
  4. Great choices!!! I've got so many on my list here but I haven't read them yet. I see a few it sounds like I'm missing out on. Thanks for sharing so glad you enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling! There's so, so many books. I've been saying the same thing all day.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...